Start Your Career in Technology With the CAD Design Courses at BTI
Do you love working with computers? Do you have a knack for design? If so, you should join students from around Reading, Wyomissing, Saint Lawrence and Lebanon who are starting a career in computer-aided design (CAD). In our Drafting Technology Program, you will take CAD courses that will prepare you for a position in the ever-growing field of technology.
What Will You Learn in Our Drafting Technology Program?
Our Drafting Technology Program is designed to teach you mechanical, civil, electrical and architectural CAD techniques. In order to teach these skills in a way that is easy to understand, we’ve broken up our program into three parts. The first part of our program will introduce you to the basic principles and ideas behind drafting. In this portion of our curriculum you’ll learn:
- Standard board drafting skills including lettering, standard geometric constructions, sketching and dimensioning
- Drafting complex shapes
- Printing to scale
- Using commands such as dimension, draw, modify and snap
The second part of our program consists of mechanical and architectural drafting courses. These classes will teach you how drafting techniques can be applied to manufacturing processes and residential architectural design. In this section of the program you’ll learn:
- Mechanical dimensioning, tolerancing, fasteners, materials and processes
- How to create working drawings for a residential project using proper drafting standards, building codes and design guidelines
- Electronic drafting processes including creating schematic, wiring and block diagrams
- 3D modeling using industry software such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Inventor, Revit and SketchUp
The third part of our program is a 220 hour externship. Towards the end of your classes, you’ll meet with an externship coordinator who will work with you to choose an externship site that matches your career goals. From there you’ll have the opportunity to practice your skills in a work setting while also getting the work experience employers are looking for. Externships are a great way to network and add work experience to your resume. Learn all about them here at our externships page.
Career Opportunities in Drafting Technology
Our Drafting Technology Program is designed to prepare you for several career options:
- Architectural Drafter: Using design software and their knowledge of design, Architectural Drafters prepare detailed drawings and 3D renderings of architectural designs. Their drawings are used as construction and wiring guidelines for buildings and other new construction projects. Architectural drafters often work in architectural firms under the supervision of an architect.
- Civil Drafter: How many people can look at a bridge or highway and know they had a hand in constructing it? Not many, but Civil Drafters can. They use their knowledge of design to create maps and guidelines for civil engineering projects. They also visit job sites to gather measurements, prepare cost estimates, manage contracts and more.
Studying CAD Can Start You on a New Career Path
We understand the importance of a career-focused education and the effect it can have on your life and job prospects. That’s why we’ll work with you to make sure you get the most out of your education. Speak to an Admissions Representative at 866.481.9301 to learn how our student and career services can help you find the career you always dreamed of or click here to request information online.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Drafters, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/drafters.htm (visited May 22, 2015).