Get Your Dental Assisting Associate in Specialized Technology Degree and Jumpstart Your Career!
If you’re a compassionate people person and love helping others, the Associate in Specialized Technology Degree in Dental Assistant program at BTI may be right for you. Healthcare is a rapidly growing industry and those with a Associate in Specialized Technology degree in Dental Assistant are in high demand. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the number of jobs for Dental Assistants will grow by 25% from 2012 to 2022.* That’s much faster than the national average! Join the many other students from Reading, Wyomissing, Birdsboro and Lititz who are on their way to becoming Dental Assistants.
What Are the Day-to-Day Responsibilities of a Dental Assistant?
Dental Assistants work closely with Dentists and patients to make sure patient charts are accurate and that dental procedures are completed in a safe and timely manner. As a Dental Assistant you’ll be responsible for:
- Sterilizing and preparing instruments for each procedure
- Mixing materials under the supervision of a Dentist
- Recording patient data and documenting dental services
- Educating patients on oral hygiene
- Developing radiographs
- Maintaining equipment, troubleshooting problems and arranging for repairs
- Managing equipment and supply inventory
Dental Assistants are a vital part of any dental office. They are often the first person patients speak to while awaiting their procedures and make patients feel comfortable by answering their questions. Because of this, this career is great for people who enjoy working with others and making people feel at ease.
Our Dental Assistant labs includes all the equipment a student will encounter in a real-life working environment to ensure students have the ability to begin building their skills from day one at BTI.
What Will the Dental Assistant Program Teach Me?
At BTI, our goal is to make sure you have the skills, knowledge and experience to graduate and start a career as a Dental Assistant. In order to make sure you are properly prepared, we have created a unique program that blends classroom instruction with real-life work experience. Our instructors will help you master the core Dental Assistant education requirements while our externship program will provide you with weeks of hands-on experience in a dental office. Here is just a sampling of what you’ll learn in our Dental Assistant program:
- Medical terminology and dental charting
- Principles of dental radiology and producing quality radiographs
- Patient data entry and transcribing dictated reports
- Chairside assisting duties including instructing patients on proper oral hygiene and sterilizing dental instruments
Toward the end of the Dental Assistant program, you’ll have the opportunity to complete a 300-hour externship where you will work with patients and hone your skills in a real-life work environment. During the externship, you’ll work closely with other Dental Assistants to practice the skills and concepts learned in class. Not only is this a great way to gain insights into your new career, it also provides you with a chance to network with people in your field that can create job opportunities in the future. Did we mention that it also looks great on a resume?
Launch Your New Career in Dental Healthcare Today!
A new career is just a phone call away. When you contact us, our Admissions Representatives will assist you through every step of the enrollment process. We’ll help you complete the online application and more. Give us a call at 866.481.9301 to start your new career or click here to request additional information about our career-focused education.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Dental Assistants, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dental-assistants.htm (visited May 22, 2015).