Enroll in Medical Billing and Coding Classes Near You!
Do you enjoy working with computers and numbers, and live in the Reading, Wyomissing, Saint Lawrence, and Lebanon area in Pennsylvania? If so, the Medical Billing and Coding program offered at Berks Technical Institute might be the right fit for you! Kick start into a growing field with competitive wages, various career opportunities, and a healthy projected job outlook of nearly an 11% increase in job growth between the years 2018-2028 (higher than the national average for other industries).
The best part? You can complete our Medical Billing and Coding program and earn a Diploma in as little as 15 months. Unlike traditional institutions where students are required to invest their time and resources in courses that do not align with their overall career goal, Berks Technical Institute will provide you with a specific curriculum to teach you skills that can help you pursue a future career in medical billing and coding faster. The training you will receive can help prepare you for an exciting new career in healthcare. Contact us today to learn more about the course curriculum and our admission process!
We provide our graduates with Career Assistance.
LEARN ABOUT OUR
We’ll help you every step of the way by making enrolling simple and stress-free.
What are the Job Opportunities Upon Completing the Medical Billing & Coding Program?
Once you complete the required medical billing and coding classes and receive your diploma, you will be equipped with the knowledge to pursue future career opportunities in the healthcare industry. Typically, medical billing and coding professionals work in hospitals, physician offices, or at insurance companies. Some of the promising potential job opportunities include:
As a Medical Secretary, you’ll play an important part in any medical team. Your responsibilities will include planning, coordinating, and implementing medical services in order to keep healthcare facilities running efficiently and smoothly.
Medical Records and Health Information Technician
As a Medical Records and Health Information Technician, medical practices will rely on your electronic health records software skills. Doctors may also rely on organizational skills to keep the practice running smoothly.
Medical Billing Specialist
A Medical Billing Specialist plays an essential role because they are in charge of accurately calculating and collecting payments from either patients or insurance companies for medical procedures that were performed in a timely fashion. Individuals in the role are expected to be highly attentive to detail, organized, and disciplined in following up on medical bills or insurance claims.
View more information about career opportunities within the medical billing and coding industry.
Qualities of a Medical Billing & Coding Professional
With the day-to-day responsibilities of a medical billing and coding professional, there are certain characteristics that can help improve quality and efficiency:
- Social skills: In this line of work, medical billing and coding professionals are required to interact with their coworkers, peers, and superiors. In some instances, there may also be a need to communicate with actual patients. It’s important to be aware of social skills and how to best communicate with varying personalities to effectively and efficiently complete projects.
- Attentive to details: There are many moving parts in the healthcare industry and attention to detail is essential to being able to code health insurance claims accurately. Attention to detail is also important for billing purposes, and for updating and reviewing patient records.
- Analytical & technical skills: There may be instances where the details of patient reports are not clearly defined. When situations like this arise, reimbursing healthcare providers can become delayed. It’s the role of the medical billing and coding professional to resolve the issues by understanding which code to implement from the medical billing and coding handbook in order to maintain quality of work and efficiency.
- Ethics: Last but not least, integrity and being ethical is of the utmost importance in this career. As a professional in the healthcare industry, you will be exposed to sensitive and private information. If this information is mishandled, this could cause serious consequences for the livelihood of others. Honest, integrity, and following an ethics code is essential to the success in this profession. If a mistake does occur, take responsibility for it so it can be rectified.
What are the Required Classes for the Medical Billing and Coding Course?
At Berks Technical Institute, the classes to complete and earn your diploma may include:
- Respiratory, Cardiovascular, Blood, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems: Students will undertake a system-by-system anatomical study of the human body and basic principles of physiology. This course will cover the structure, functions and conditions/diseases of the respiratory, cardiovascular, blood, lymphatic, and immune systems. In addition, the medical terminology applicable to these body systems will be addressed, with emphasis on word construction, proper usage, and acceptable medical abbreviations.
- Allied Health Orientation: This course will introduce allied health students to various roles of medical professionals. The student will be trained in the scope of practice, legal and ethical responsibilities, and governmental compliance required within allied health professions.
- Pathology: This course examines the disease process for the following body systems - integumentary, nervous, endocrinology, skeletal, muscular, sensory, cardiovascular/blood, respiratory, lymphatic/immune, gastrointestinal, reproductive, and urinary. In addition to that, students will be taught how each disease process affects the entire body. Patient education on disease process and health maintenance, exhibiting empathy, sensitivity, and professionalism are also addressed.
The Medical Billing and Coding program at Berks Technical Institute also provides students with the opportunity to participate in an externship, which will give you hands-on training under the supervision of a qualified instructor. For more detailed information on our courses and externship course, download our Course Catalog.
Apply for the Medical Billing and Coding Program at Berks Technical Institute!
If you’re ready to enroll in medical billing and coding training classes, contact our admission team today! There’s no better time to invest in your future than today. When you complete the Medical Billing and Coding course, you will learn the skills to enter into the job market with confidence. Give us a call today at 866.481.9301 or submit a quick form to request more information about the admission process.